Monday, August 17, 2009

There Goes the Neighborhood

I'm visiting my hometown, east of San Francisco, and I had an unexpected drive this morning. I planned to meet a friend for breakfast but was surprised to find the car battery dead when trying to leave the house. Called the breakfast place, found my friend, explained the situation, and moved on about my day.
Called AAA, they were here in no time, and got me jumped (and I liked it). The guy recommended that I not pass go, not collect $200, but by all means drive to the nearest place to get a new battery. So, off I go.
My hometown is an island - not Alcatraz, ya jokers - with about, oh, population of 70,000 I'd say, and is probably not more than 10 square miles of land, give or take. We used to have a naval base, but has been shut down for many years and the land is rented out to movie & TV production companies. Very picturesque, lovely views of the Oakland hills, south bay, and San Francisco itself.
I haven't lived here for 15 years, so driving around I thought I had a pretty good idea of where auto row/car parts stores would be. It was crazy to drive around and actually look at what my little city has become.
Tillie's Diner on Webster looks like it closed, that makes me sad. Lincoln's Address, the most hilariously named bar on Lincoln Avenue is now called something else. South Shore Shopping Center now has some fancy glitzed-up name and newer, better stores. Who knew my little hometown would tear down Penney's and the old Woolworth's and end up with a Barnes & Noble, Trader Joe's, and Kohl's? There are beautiful Victorian and Queen Anne homes that are now being lovingly restored, which is great to see. Streets have been re-named...all in all, the same but not the same.
Auto row doesn't exist anymore, but thankfully a Kragen did. Thanks, Kragen, I'm all charged up. Literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment