Saturday, June 13, 2009

Comprehension

Am I the only one who doesn’t shampoo twice? The bottle is pretty straightforward. “Apply to wet hair. Rinse. Repeat.” Once is fine, though, right?

That’s beside the point. Point being: following instructions. Take this one, for example: “Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications.”

Do WHAT, now? (Sidebar: I’m not from these parts, but that’s one of my favorite southern phrases. I translate it as a mix of, “I beg your pardon,” “You’ve got to be kidding me,” and, “I don’t think I heard you properly.”)

“Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications.” Every prescription medication ad mentions that sentence amidst the legalese. Really? Do people go to different doctors and not mention, oh, I don’t know: heart condition, asthma, epilepsy, diabetes…whatever reason you might be taking medication. Really?

Remember when McDonald’s was successfully sued by the lady who scalded herself via coffee because the cup didn’t mention that coffee is…hot?? I’m just a little stunned by the lengths that companies have to go to in order to protect themselves from frivolity. Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment