Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Self-Examination?

I left the office today smiling to myself for the first time in a long time. Physically sloughing off the place. How odd that what made me smile further was think about one of the smartest moves I ever made some years back (2006, in fact), nothing whatsoever to do with work.

People break up - that's life. I heard an interview with (of all people!) Iggy Pop on Fresh Air last week. I'm not a fan, but it was a great interview (go find it on NPR or the Fresh Air site, I ain't linkin' it here). He's plugging a new album, of course, called Préliminaires. One of the songs they talked about specifically was a cover of an Antônio Carlos Jobim song, "How Insensitive." He was saying this song is so blissfully short and says exactly what it needs to say without droning on and on like so many emotional songs do. I'll tell ya: when you feel it and they don't...what can you do, you know?

How insensitive I must have seemed when he told me that he loved me
How unmoved and cold I must have seemed when he told me so sincerely
Why, he must have asked, did I just turn and stare in icy silence
What was I to say? What can you say when a love affair is over
Now he's gone away and I'm alone with a memory of him:
Last look vague and drawn and sad. I see it still. All his heartbreak in that last look.
How, he must have asked, could I just turn and stare in icy silence
What was I to do? What can one do when a love affair is over

"...and I'm alone with a memory of him," by the way, is a good thing. No idea what brought this specifically to mind today, but there you have it. Oh, and I know...the point of this blog is, it's not about me. OK, so today it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment