Monday, April 27, 2009

Fair Labor Standards Act

Scene: Park bench, somewhere on the Emory University campus. Overcast. Perhaps it’s lunch time.
Characters: Man, Woman


Man sits on park bench with sandwich, apple, bottled water and some back-issue of “Men’s Health.” Woman enters with paperback novel.

Woman: (tossing her paperback angrily at bench) This is about the crappiest day ever.

Man: (while chewing) I’m sorry…are you talking to me?

Woman: (oblivious) I mean, for the love of god, what the hell are they trying to do to us?

Man: (picking up her book, which has fallen through the slats) Sartre? Mmm. That’s a little heavy for pleasure reading, don’t you think? …

Woman: (hands on hips) How long have you worked here?

Man: (amused) You can sit down, you know. Have some water – you’ll feel better.

Woman: How long have you worked here?? How long have you had to endure this??

Man: Look. The Counseling Center is just over there in the…

Woman: Do we not live in a free country? Is this not America? You know…land of the free?

Man: I love it when you get all worked up like this.

Woman: I mean, I could totally use the overtime pay, but there’s no way it’s in the budget.

Man: Maybe they’ll change the budget. Apple?

Woman: (sits, accepting the apple) …and what if… Oh, hell. I hate it here.

Man: (chewing again) I love peanut butter.

Woman: (holding back tears) I just want this to be over.

Man: Hey. I hear they’re letting us leave early today.

Woman: It’s cold in my office.

Man: I swear to god if you don’t stop moping right now I’ll never speak to you again.

Woman: You know what? Let’s blow this popsicle stand. Right now. You with me?

Man: Do I know you?

No comments:

Post a Comment