Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Star Trek

I admit it, and proudly: I'm a Trekkie.
Many a year ago, I was even seen at conventions. I will also admit, even more proudly: I never dressed up. OK, so maybe I own a phaser and maybe I own a communicator, but I draw the line at hours in the makeup chair unless it's Halloween...and even then, never as a Star Trek character. Seriously, though, if you've never been to a Star Trek convention, they're a must-see. Don't gape, they're all very serious about what they do.
So, the new Star Trek movie. I wasn't hesitant to go, and no love lost for the original...but it was great. Shatner can shove it, bein' all a hater. He's just jealous of the Nimoy.
I'm not here to give away plot or spoilers, but I will say a bit about the alternate reality. Alternate reality was a really nice set-up and lovely device for the director to use to say: I know you all know what happened in the series and in those subsequent movies, but guess what folks? All bets are off. Anyone could die or be injured or have their face burnt off or lose a limb...because what they do in this timeline might affect the future and create a different outcome. OK, I'm down with that. What I'm NOT down with is when Future Character meets Current Character. It's established that young Spock can't know about the existence of old Spock (who's allegedly in a different reality and timeline)...but give them an hour and young Spock finds out. Not only does he find out, but they meet face-to-face and have a little chat. That tilted my whirl just a bit.
That said, five outta five starts from me. Just a lovely job from the whole cast. Including Tyler Perry, who I wasn't expecting, and still don't know what business he had being there. My favorite bit: their nod to the red jersey-ed guy in the landing party you know ain't comin' back. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment